Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I am reading a new book: The Motivation Breakthrough by Richard Lavoie. Here is a quotation from the book that I would like to remember:

[on preventing learned helplessness]
"Phrases that increase feelings of learned helplessness:
  • Let me do that for you.
  • I'll handle it.
  • I'll talk to your mother (teacher) to see if I can get her to change her mind.
  • I'll send the teacher a note.
  • That's too difficult for you.
  • I'll call the store and see if they have any left.
Phrases that enhance independence and decrease learned helplessness:
  • I'll get the job started and you can finish it.
  • Take a chance. See if you can do it.
  • I know you can...
  • Sounds like you have a problem. What solutions have you thought about?
  • Let me teach you how to do this yourself."
"If you want to build a ship, don't recruit the men to gather the wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea." -Antoine de Saint-Exupery


No comments:

Post a Comment